Thursday, July 8, 2010

Community Activism

Josh cracks up because I am a total letter writer.  When I am unhappy about something, he will say "Well, why don't you go write a letter."  Meaning that when I like something or hate something I tend to let people know.

Case in Point:

1)Approximately 10-11 years ago I emailed Trader Joes and asked them to move to Minnesota. I don't want to get all the credit but Minnesota now has 3 Trader Joes.

2)Around that same time I emailed my favorite chain consignment store, Buffalo Exchange and asked if I could franchise.  They told me no. I told them they should move here to Minnesota.  And lo and behold...Uptown has  Buffalo Exchange.

3)Once again, about 10 years ago I began a regular email campaign with New Belgium Brewery begging them to bring Fat Tire to Minnesota. Glurp Glurp Glurp....that is the sound of me drinking me some barley pop straight from the Wind Powered New Belgium Brewery.

Not all of my letters are positive. Which brings me to my local grocery store.

Dear Local Grocery Store:

I am sorry, but I can't stand shopping at your store.    I am a mom.  I have toddlers.  I have toddlers that like toys.  WHY OH WHY OH WHY must you have toys in every inch of your store? They are in the front entrance, even before you step in the store.  They are at check out.  They are in the aisles.  I seriously cannot get through your store without some meltdown or tantrum from one of my children begging me for a toy.  You are losing money.  You are losing a lot of money...I will tell you why.  Your sales would increase if you got rid of the toys because more moms would shop and buy more...but NO...now every time I go, I rush in....frantic....trying to avert my children's eyes. Not to mention it is very uncomfortable for the staff and patrons that have to hear my son screaming over the nerf water gun I did not buy him.  Sell food....stick with food. 

Thanks for listening.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Boy, I'm sure glad it's the weekend and you can go camping in the forest and enjoy all that food you bought at the grocery store, minus any little toy that might have brought the kids some teeny tiny ounce of happiness. Ho ho ho!

Faux Martha said...

I know...mean mom...but it wasn't just one toy, it was like 10 toys....the squirt gun he wanted me to buy was larger then him....