Thursday, December 10, 2009

Advice and Traditions

This comes via my mom via Maya Angelou.......because I am finding the holidays a tad overwhelming.....

Look heavenward and speak the word aloud.    Peace.
We look at each other, then into ourselves, and we
say without shyness or apology or hesitation:

Peace, My Brother
Peace, My Sister
Peace, My Soul

  M. Angelou

And then today while flying back to the cities I read a Lorna Landvik's 'Tis The Season . (seriously, read the whole thing in a 3 hour flight).   A quick easy read, but enjoyable.  Lorna is from Minnesota and I read her books when I am in the mood for something that is entertaining but light.

But near the very end of the story, I loved the idea they did for a new Christmas tradition.   Everyone in the room writes their name on a piece of paper.  Then everyone in the room draws a name from the hat.  For the name you draw, you must write them a fortune that you hope will come true for them before the next Christmas.  Then everyone folds the fortunes up and puts them in the hat and people find their name.  Then everyone reads their fortune out loud and they have to guess who wrote it for them.

1 comment:

MommyLisa said...

Okay - THAT is what we should do for New Year's Eve.